Friday, June 10, 2011

Yet again, another PC speed solution

I thought I'd share another little piece of free software that I think everybody should be using: Defraggler. I myself run this program multiple times a day to prevent my harddrive from becoming anywhere near fragmented (however you should note, I'm pretty anal about my computer, and you by no means need to run it that much).

An extremely common reason that a computer slows down is having a hard drive that is highly fragmented. To put in somebody else's words that I just found on google:

A fragment is a piece. If you drop a vase on a concrete floor, you get fragmentation of the vase. Lots of little pieces. Which is pretty much what your data looks like on your hard drive after you've been using it for a few months. Ever try to stick all the little pieces of a smashed vase together again? Well, that's kinda what your computer has to do to get that file that you just tried to open. It's first got to find all those little pieces and stick them all together again, and then present this stuck together file to you.

(Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2207685)

Its obvious why that would cause your computer to run waaay slower than it really should. What Defraggler does, is take all your files, and puts them back together with all the other similar fragments, effectively getting rid of the fragmentation. You can set Defraggler up to automatically do this as frequently, and as thoroughly as you want, without ever having to worry about it. This is another one of those programs that's user friendly enough for a computer illiterate, while offering a variety of options that will satisfy even the most tech savvy.

There is a program in windows that will automatically defrag your drives for you, but honestly its not very good. Defraggler works faster, works harder, all while getting the job done better. And, well, its free.

More blogs coming soon, keep the comments and follows coming! 


peace

5 comments:

  1. Haha I loved defragging my mom's computer with the stock windows XP tool. 5 hours later it may or may not have been done. I'll check his out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just be careful when using the optimize feature with this bad boy, sometimes it ends up blue screening your comp, or at least mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be careful not to use it too much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it has been a while hasn't it? Its been a busy weekend for me, and I'm working on a website for my band which has been pretty time consuming. but rest assured, within the hour I'll start working on another one.

    ReplyDelete